FlySafair was founded by SafAir. SafAir is an air cargo service provider in South Africa with half a century worth of experience in the industry. Flysafair is the branch of their company that deals with passenger services within the airline industry. They started operations in 2014 with only a limited amount of routes and have been steadily increasing these routes since.
The Flysafair aircraft is the Boeing 737. This plane type is the preferred choice for budget based airlines. With their ever increasing route destinations the fleet is continually being increased. Each flight seats 165 passengers. Aircraft’s are routinely maintained and abide by the IOSA safety standards which is seen worldwide as the highest standard for aviation. The seating on the inside of the planes were refurbished to include more ergonomic seats with a little more leg room.
Bookings for FlySafair
Bookings for flights can be done on FlySafair for the following cities in South Africa
- Cape Town
- Port Elizabeth
- East London
Booking details that can be changed are the dates and times of flights, passenger names and adding any extra services to the flight. Seats can be pre-selected for flights but it comes at an extra cost or you can simply do selections during check-in. FlySafair does not include check-in baggage pricing in their ticket fares but if you would like to take baggage with you, you can book it during the booking process.
Payments for flights can be done by
- Credit Cards – Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club and American Express are accepted as payment.
- SID – payment can be done by SID through the FlySafair website. It is a very secure way to make online payments and FlySafair will be notified at once that you have made payment.
- EFT – transfers can be done as payment but only through the call centre and must be done at least 24 hours after booking
- Pick n’ Pay – you must book your flight online. Once you get your reference number after booking you may go to any Pick n Pay store to do the payment, at the cashier, with this reference. Once payment is processed you will be emailed your booking reference which you will be able to use during boarding at the airport.
Special Needs Passengers on FlySafair
- Pregnant guests – can travel up to 28 weeks with no medical clearance. From 28 to 35 weeks a doctor’s note must be produced and for the duration thereof will not be allowed for travel on FlySafair flights. Guests with a history of pregnancy related problems should avoid flying. Pregnant guests should ideally select aisle seats to have easier access to the bathroom facility on board and should do light walking in the aisles from time to time to allow for circulation.
- Babies – bookings must be done for infants and airfares for babies on FlySafair flights are about 15% of adults fare rate. During the booking process there is an option for infants that can be selected if you will be traveling with a baby. They will need to be seated on the accompanying adults lap and birth certificates must be produced at boarding.
- Medical needs guests – will require medical clearance to be able to fly with FlySafair and fill in and hand over the FlySafair special needs form at least 48 hours before their flight.
- Disabled passengers – will not need medical clearance but must be at the airport at least 90 minutes before their flight so that FlySafair staff can give them priority boarding. They will be placed into their seats first and do not have to worry about standing in the queues.
- Visually impaired guests – must give the airline notice at least 48 hours before flight departure so that they are prepared to provide all necessary help. Guide dogs travel free on FlySafair flights and must be on a proper harness. Identification for the dogs must be provided and they will be seated in front of their owner’s seat during the flight
Doing check-in can be done on the FlySafair website to help speed up the process of airport procedures. This facility opens 24 hours before your flight departure and the earlier you check-in the more seating options are available to you. It should be noted that changes to bookings cannot be done once the check-in has been confirmed. The only details you would need for the online check-in is your booking code and last name of the passenger. If passengers are bringing along check-in baggage then they will need to go to the bag drop off area to have it tagged and taken. Flight prices are inclusive of hand luggage but check-in luggage comes at an additional cost per bag and must not exceed 20kg. Certain items that are classified as dangerous may be allowed in check-in baggage but not on board. For a full listing of such items, please consult the FlySafair website
Check-in desks at the airport for FlySafair opens 2 hours before and closes 40 minutes before flight departure. Latecomers will not be accepted as this will delay the scheduled time of the flight if FlySafair has to accommodate for them.
Boarding FlySafair Flights
To be able to board FlySafair flights you will need to produce your boarding pass and identification. Kids must be able to show a birth certificate and adults need to produce an Identity Document or Passport. You will also need to pass through security.
On board FlySafair Menu
Snacks are available for purchase aboard FlySafair flights. The only form of payment that is accepted for these items is cash.
Further Info on FlySafair
- Travel updates can be found on their website pertaining to information regarding flight delays and cancellations
- First Car Rental is the partnership FlySafair has for car rentals. Bookings for car hire can be done directly on the FlySafair website.
- Passengers can take a travel insurance with FlySafair to covers costs for loss, damage or theft of their personal belongings such as electronic devices and valuable items.